Hi everybody, I hope you enjoyed the 4 week theme on Fear of heights and that you found it useful. This week has been exceptionally busy as I launch an online booking form for you to book directly with me, so check the website out for that where it says Book Appointment.
This month is really dedicated to the incredible and difficult work the emergency services do, and for a long time I’ve really wanted to offer support in helping emergency personnel overcome traumatic events. At some point in our lives we either have experienced traumatic events or come across traumatic events. I hope to share with you some top techniques that I think will really help in this area.
Trauma, can be anything that causes us severe shock, terror, fear or anxiety. For some people a traumatic event might be boarding an aircraft and flying because they have a phobia of flying, for some it might be the loss of someone close or other such situation.
When we really break down what exactly trauma is, it really boils down to very strong thoughts and feelings, that appear to be very real and vivid for us. It might be that at that time you think there is no way that you will ever be free from this event and these thoughts and feelings, but that simply is not true. These are just out of control thoughts running around out of control, it’s a bit like having a car on a skid pan, your skidding all over the place.
So, how do we tackle such a situation? Is there any chance of overcoming trauma?? Well I believe there is. You see during my life I myself have experienced very traumatic situations, and at the time it seemed scary, frightening and out of control, but when you really look at it closely, it’s just our minds under extreme stress, we are literally in a fight or flight type scenario, and getting more stressed and agitated because we don’t know what to do, or what action to take. Part of us may feel that we are in danger and that we might not be able to respond to the threat. The truth is it’s actually very easy to let go of trauma as surprising as that sounds, but it does take a massive decision on your part.
So, how do we let go of trauma using Hypnotherapy??
Well the best way to do this is by following my simple steps below. Now this isn’t a magical cure, nor is it a substitute for 1:1 therapy, but it will help educate you on a way forwards.
1) First off, trauma is mental turmoil going through our heads, and the best way to reduce this mental stress is writing out your thoughts. It’s like opening up the sleuce gates of a Dam. Just write out your thoughts about the incident, get it all out on paper. Now when you do this it is very important not too ‘read’ into what those thoughts mean and try and analyse what your writing. We are not interested in the whole story here, we simply are just writing down those thoughts that are causing us tension.
2) Now when you have done that, notice how you feel. Do you feel a little less tense about the situation or not?? The next step is writing out the positive version of those thoughts, but each time you write the positve version really feel that positive belief being real for you right now.
3) The next step involves us dealing with the mental conflict. Conflict can only exist when we are not listening to what our mind is saying, and we tend to fight and resist the unpleasant images and thoughts. Try asking that unpleasant thought ‘What are you trying to do to help me?’ Keep asking this question until such time you get an answer. Very often we tend to use fear to protect or warn us about something.
4) Now ask that unpleasant thought ‘What action do you need me to take for you to go?’ Keep asking that question, and keep checking with that unpleasant thought if it needs you to take any further action. As you get an answer and some sort of action to take, see youself taking that action, doing that task. Feel it and sense it, make it real now. See yourself in the upcoming months and years doing this action, and noticing how much better you feel, how much more positive you feel about your life. You might notice those new beliefs you have about your past traumatic event and notice how easy it was to let go of that trauma, how easy it was for you to accept the belief that you can be free and calm and peaceful, and how easy it is to achieve your goals.
5) Now I want to get you to imagine standing under a warm shower, feel that warmth, the perfect temperature for you. Now imagine that water changing into a relaxing colour that heals and washes away any tension. Feel that remaining tension just leave as best as it can right now. Feel this colour washing down your head.. shoulders… chest….legs…feet, that’s it all the way down. Notice what new beliefs you have about your life, how relaxed and calm you are. Just notice your breathing going in and out. Take in those deep refreshing breaths. That’s right…
6) Now measure yourself on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the least tension, and 10 being the most tension. Whereever you are, just notice those feelings, and just allow that tension to leave, that’s it. Keep repeating this process until you feel lighter. Then repeat step 5 to finish so you finish on a high.
I hope you enjoyed that 6 step process for overcoming traumatic events. It seems so simple, and it really is. I know that in the moment you can feel overwhelmed, but, remember you are stronger and more powerful than you think you are, and anytime from this moment on you feel concerned, just focus on your breathing going in and out, and just allow those thoughts to pass through. All these thoughts want to leave and float away. Let me know how you get on with this, and feel free to post your comments below. It’s not always easy to do proper therapy through writing about it, so let me know if you fancy a guided hypnosis recording on this.
Finally I wish you a great week, and we’ll continue to tackle the topic of trauma in the following weeks. The more you see that these are just thoughts, and prove that to yourself, you will make immense progress. You can do it, I know you can. If you need further help then book me privately where your guranteed to get top class service, lol..